One should ask, what is the role of Government in today’s modern society? In my eyes the role of the Government must be limited, and there should be no room for self enrichment, since we must assume that these people are in Government because of their love for the people and their country and not due to their own desires for financial and political gain.
1. They should ensure a secure and stable environment to enable free trade, innovation, development and production through securing our national borders and protect against internal threats such as racketeering, intimidation, violence and corruption, and defend the country from any external threat to our way of life.
2. They should enable the citizens of the country to better themselves in every possible way though quality education by the means of creating quality infrastructure such as housing and roads; delivering basic services like running water and electricity to each home and telecommunication for further development in regards with education.
3. They should not be allowed to have parastatals like Eskom or Telkom. Any funding which the Government give to public enterprise ventures should be seen as loans after an in depth due diligence report was drawn up, and their must be little or no interest.
4. Financial institutions should be regulated in regards with the amount of personal loans they give out to an individual, and the interest charged on these loans, as well as keep an eye on bank administrative charges.
5. Lastly, the salaries of serving political figures and leading figures in the public sector like the police and defence force should be voted on by the public themselves.
Governing the Government falls in the hands of the citizens of the country, and we should not be lax in our attitudes or our resolve towards the Government, because this creates the perfect opportunity for the human condition called Greed to raise it’s ugly head. We voted them into power, and it is our common responsibility to make sure that they stay on the straight and narrow, long past are the days of Monarchs and Feudal Lords who believed that the peasants where there to serve their every whim, the Government is the Public’s servant.
In essence I believe that people don’t need a Government, a body or entity that will herd them like sheep or cattle into specific areas where they think it is best for livestock, and of course, from which they as the Government would stand to gain the most out of.
Sadly there is no room in today’s society for such a view, since we as human beings are not responsible enough to govern ourselves and our inherent need for greed and hoarding.
Maybe through education we will be able to move past these factors which are holding us back sometime in the future.